Friday 5 September 2014

'Cause unity is powerful…' The Jam.

It’s been a busy week and I can’t stop.

I suspect all blogs go the same way. The momentum of the task in hand overtakes the times to sit, reflect and write anything of interest. But I’ll give it a go in the time I have before I leave the house and drive to a place to do a thing before I drive back to meet and update curator Emily.

Luckily for me Lyndall Phelps is, officially, my mentor for the NOA commission, and unofficially one of my great friends whose practice has recently developed beautifully into...


which all makes the best sense when you look through


In the land of making, a critical friend is a wonderful asset. An artist whose knowledge, skills, experience and opinion are all greatly respected and valued, is the best person to share a couple of Sunday morning telephone hours discussing art/life and materials.

So my week began with conversations about fabricators, rigidity, cord, string, rope, sites and paints and has rolled on through experiments, play, tests, revisions and more exploration. Lyndall is amazingly generous with her knowledge, time, contacts and wit. I’m a lucky rascal.

Now it’s Friday and I find myself with a four panel screen frame which seemed to be waiting for me in a local second hand shop. It was definitely one of the fastest purchases I’ve ever made. You can see its current, dishevelled state on Twitter, @BridportKnots.

I’ve stripped the frame down ready to make it marvellous, attractive and inviting enough for any game bird to come and have a go at contributing a knot for Bridport Knots. All the knots made and donated will appear in the final work to be exhibited in the heart of Bridport next year.

I hope you’ll come and tie the knot with me in Bridport soon. And while I’m talking about people getting involved in making art, did you catch this? ...

1. BBC Front Row
Artist Michael Sailstorfer on his interactive work at the Folkestone Triennial, 7 minute interview



...I’m glad I stopped, it’s been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to join in.